Monday 31 January 2011

Apollo 13

or Houston we've got a problem... or six.

Friday was moderately awful.

I finally got my tax figures from the accountant, and paid the tax online. Sadly this was the easy bit, as I've also got to phone tax credits and tell them how much I made. The rest of the world is also doing this so it's a soupcon busy in their call centre methinks. So they're playing a game.

Ring ring... Hello... please select from the following options... You've selected 4!.... please select from the following options... you've selected 3! ... please select from the following options... You've selected 1!.... did you know you can get help on our website? Please make sure you have your national insurance number ready.... this call may be recorded for training purposes..... our call centre is available from 8 to 8 every day.... All our operatives are busy... please call again later... goodbye! ~click~

yes, 5 minutes of crap and it cuts you off. So of course I phoned back again. And being clever I'd written down the answers, so I could just press 4,3,1 without waiting for the robot woman. This time they are busy, but I am put on hold.

20 minutes later, and I have to stop being on hold as my mobile is ringing. Tis glass class lady, glass class is cancelled. Bum. For two weeks! Double bum.

Back on hold for another 20 mins, and yay, the nice scottish man grills me, and then pronounces I have passed and my record has been updated.

Also had problems with my new toy. Saturday noticed it's slow to start turning. Investigation reveals the motor drive built is too slack. The adjustment bolts are a) really inaccessible, b) tightened to high torque and c) made of soft easily destroyed metal. By the time the job was done I have a hand which resembles a map of the moon.

Sunday new toy is still bothering me. It's too darn loud. Sounds like a cement mixer full of ball bearings. So I take the gearbox top cover off to find the reason is there's no bloody oil in the headstock. Well, maybe 1/4 inch in the bottom, when it should be about 4 inches deep. So game over until I can get the correct oil tomorrow.

I'm also losing to a cold. Thus I have the steady dripping nose thing.

I have an earworm too. I will share it with you now.



Bonus points if you can spot the pointless lyric censorship...

I've got two tickets to iron maiden baby....

2 comments:

Amanda Huggenkiss said...

Sounds like your new toy needs a bit of love and attention.

p.s. 9 out of 10 middle-aged dirtbags prefer ukulele - but in my opinion all tunes sound better on a ukulele.

C'riz said...

New toy is much the same as any new made in China machine, you end up having to take it apart and fix the not quite right bits.

Not sure what would first come to mind if I was asked for "the baby song".