Thursday 16 December 2010

Songs in the key of argh

If you work in a shop, or have the misfortune to spend more than 20 minutes in one you will no doubt hear one of those Christmas songs that makes you want to kill.

I think it's important to share things with people, so here's my lazy blogging of my least favourite Christmas song:



You may be thinking, but this isn't a Christmas song. Well, technically, no it isn't. But I've only got to hear 5 seconds of it and I get the horror come flooding back. It was in the charts Christmas 1992. I was working in a dive bar in a west end town in the centre of sunny Barnsley. It was awful, to ten decimal places.

The worst thing was the place couldn't decide what it wanted to be. I think technically it was supposed to be an Irish themed olde worlde pub. When it was quiet you would have old men, and the background muzzax was irish. To the point where the staff would pay to use the jukebox to turn it off.

But it also had insanely cheap drink promotions, so it was like a switch was pulled and all the younger peeps would appear and dance round their handbags. So that was my Christmas hell. If
I hear "man in the moon", "dancing queen" or "my way" I'm transported back there. Telling the boss I'm just going out for a smoke (when I don't) was the only way to escape the madness.

And your personal soundtrack to hell includes.....?

2 comments:

Amanda Huggenkiss said...

Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet - represents 1980's white bread suburbia and icy cold cans of coke from the back of black thunders (commercial radio promotion). The enemies of spotty alternative music tragics.

C'riz said...

You can do it more justice than me, so i'll let you off this time.