Wednesday 15 December 2010

Faith, hop, and charity

And the greatest of these is hop.

(They just don't make tv like that these days).

So today I joined the rest of the lemmings for "a bit of last minute xmas shopping".
Yes, of course it was awful. Though low stress as a) I know exactly what I want and b) I don't know people, so didn't have to join in with the standard tiresome conversation (Eyup jack, hows tha goin? Not bad Fred... Is tha ready for xmas? etc etc as you block the way for people on a mission).

I also did a bit of the charity thing. As teh Misty is now officially an ex friend (n yes, still makes me sad) that means I don't have to buy her a present. So I have more money to use up.

Charity #1: Barno dog rescue.
Who are asking for food for dogs. I like this, it's direct and you are obviously helping the ones in need (teh dogs). I buy them dog food.

Charity #2 is found at tescos: The salvation army.
They want money, and have three men armed with instruments attempting to persuade you to give it. They must be the backup team, as normally the SA have big bands who can play. This lot though where I felt going for the pity vote. They would start strongly on a carol, but after about 45 seconds it all goes a bit wrong as the bloke with the tuba fluffs it, and they realise they don't know all the music. There was then a pause while they confer on what to try next, sadly with the same result.
I gave them 10 quid, and was wished a merry Christmas in return.

I don't mind giving them money, as I believe on the whole they do good work and help people. Ok, I'm still unsure on the god question, but you can put that aside and admire the help they give to people. If there is a God I'm sure all (s)he really wants is for us to be nice to each other.

Charities I'm not helping this year are the ones who have sent me fancy letters asking for help. This may appear mean when all they want is £20 to save a life / build a well / help Simba's cubs / cure cancer etc, but I've fallen for this one before. You give them £20, and over the next year they spend £19 of it sending you letters asking you for more money. I'm sure it's a front for a paper making company. I'd much rather buy dog food as I know it helps dogs.

No comments: