Wednesday 22 December 2010

Fear

Had a truly frightening experience today. The plan was simple, go to tescos and buy shopping, then go to the tyre shoppe and have my new tyres fitted at vast expense.

Tescos part went fine. Got in the car, and drove onto the road. Ma Ma starts fiddling in her bag. "Are you not feeling well Ma Ma?" (For Ma Ma is diabetic). Indeed she has testing kit in her hand, but appears to be struggling to use it. "No problem, I'll pull into the DIY store car park", which I do 2 minutes later.

"Right, you can test now".

Oh dear.... Ma Ma has fallen forwards with only the seatbelt keeping her from going splat. She is also not responding to me unless I shout, which gets the smallest of eye movement. I don't need a meter to tell me this is mega low blood sugar. I take the bag off her knee to get the glucose tablets out of it.

Er, why are there no glucose tablets, just an empty wrapper? Argh!!!!

You know the bit in back to the future where Marty dives in the delorian to escape from the Libyans? Lets see if you bastards can do 90!!!! It was a bit like that.... Jumped 3 red lights, went down the no entry except buses road, dumped the car and miss. voyage to trip out city on tesco's petrol station forecourt. One dash inside and I have glucose energy drink & choklit.

Came back out to find she's revived to the level where she's holding the blood test meter as if it's an artefact from another planet. Ma Ma, put it down and drink this. No, all of it please...

10 minutes later, and she's back in the land of humans. Where are we? Why aren't we at the cash machine? So obviously all in between was totally lost.

The fear being she's not typically like this. She normally knows when a hypo is beginning (I guess she had an idea 'cos of getting the meter out), but normally she's got 5-10 minutes of feeling ill before she becomes properly ill. It terrifies me to think if this had happened in the town when she was on her own.

No comments: