Thursday 13 August 2009

On being astro conned

I'm going to write this one later. For excitement marginally better than watching paint dry, try and guess what it's about?

~Returns to Xanadu complete post~

Last night I fell for it yet again.

The BBC tells me that it's the bestest night for viewing the Perseid meteor shower. True, your view may be slightly spoilt by the brightness of the moon, but all you have to do is drive out into the countryside away from the lights, look north east, and enjoy!

What a load of fetid dingo's kidneys! I got in the landy, drove out onto the scary moors, up the huge hill with the twisty road of doom, and parked up in the car park that is normally used for panoramic views of the moors. Perfect. Hang on... I can't see any meteors. In fact I can't see the moon. And if I turn my cars lights off I can't see my hand in front of my face. I've been astro conned again. Dejected, I head for home, only to reenact the film duel with a psycho truck driver behind me on the twisty roads of certain doom.

I have a long history of falling for this sort of stuff. You know, where they tell you no one alive today will ever see this astronomical phenomenon again.

I have missed:

Halley's Comet
Hale-Bopp Comet
Mars closest for x gajillion years
That Michael Shoemaker comet crash thing.
Meteors.
Eclipses.
UFO's.
Northern lights.
Button moon.

It's all a big fat con. And yes, I will no doubt fall for it next time as well.

What dear reader(s) do you never learn from doing?


3 comments:

Amanda Huggenkiss said...

Is it something to do with "The Jetsons"?

p.s. Pseudonymph - photocopy 12 copies your birth certificate and "adjust" the dates so that you are covered for every star sign. Then pick the certificate that matches nicest horoscope for the day. Guaranteed WIN.

Amanda Huggenkiss said...

I have a guitar here that I can never learn from doing.

I took my guitar down to the crossroad at midnight to make a deal with the Devil. He said "pissoff, you can't play for crap."

p.s. That Michael Shoemaker comet crash thing was over rated.

Amanda Huggenkiss said...

Oh - and happy twenty first birthday Pseudonymph.
(your secret is safe with us)