Saturday 1 August 2009

Yorkshire day

It's Yorkshire day today.

So that means the local tv news will have to wheel out all the cliches again. Flat caps, whippets, black pudding, welly wanging, photo montages of the pretty bits of (North) Yorkshire where posh people would visit should they decide to slum it.

Whilst I suppose it's good to have a bit of local pride, it's not really like that. They never show montages of abandoned steelworks, closed pits, chavved up saxos, empty mcdonald's packaging blowing across a closed asda car park.

They don't point out that if you live here you WILL die young. In my part of sunny Barnsley-on-sea, I'm predicted to get 70.5 years. National male average is 77.3 years. It's 10 years less than a certain lady blogger who scores 80.8. If you are born here, you will die here as well, as we don't do the migration thing.

This could be due to what wikipedia describes as "Barnsley is also notorious for its strong accent", or no bugger understands you when you do go further afield. Being mental, I have trouble communicating. I'll be yapping along, and suddenly the brain will realise, people are listening to me. I am the focal point. Eeeep! Add in they don't understand you anyways, and it's quite the nightmare.

Anyroad young 'un, I'll give thi a test to see if tha can understand us. Video mainly shows tarn centre, wi bits of Wosborough, and I reckon New Lodge houses, burra could be wrong. Dunno why it ends with the cooling towers in dee dah land.


Bonus video. Well why not? If you've got this far you earned it.

The north will rise again?

1 comment:

Amanda Huggenkiss said...

Hey that's good news - I will ride my motorbike up to the mountains like a maniac, and try hang gliding safe in the knowledge that I have another 40 years guaranteed.