Tuesday 26 October 2010

Burning money

The Idiot Girl easy way. A brief and concise guide to cash loss that anyone can follow no matter how stupid.

Step 1) Buy a house you don't like. It's a good idea to get one that nobody in their right mind will ever want to buy for the later stages of this plan. Cost: £68,500

Step 2) Spend £4000 of other people's money on the house that you don't like. Move in. Wait 2 weeks. Declare you hate it and are moving out.

Step 3) Attempt to sell the thing. Fail miserably because you can't find a bigger idiot than yourself to buy it.

step 4) Keep dropping the price until eventually somebody does buy it. For £50,500.

Voila! Ignoring the costs of moving in/out, solicitors, interest and all the other stuff you've just managed to lose >£22,000 in 23 months.

But wait! You could also look at that you put £20,000 of your own money in to buy it, £4,000 in changes, and still owe the bank £15,000 after you've sold it. £39,000 loss sounds a lot more impressive, non?

At this point, you may be wondering why I care?
It's to do with the slight problem of the £15,000 left owing. Given she doesn't have a handful of magic beans left, I know where the £15 K is coming from. Ma Ma will be paying it, like Ma Ma paid the £4k of alterations.

No, I'm not bothered that technically I would eventually inherit half of that, and I can't if idiot girl has already spent it. I'm bothered that idiot girl's me me me attitude has put a quite sizeable dent in Ma Ma's life savings.
We all make mistakes now and then, but some of us have the backbone to live with those mistakes and not expect other people to bail them out all the time.

And relax......

No comments: