Thursday 17 September 2009

Tubetastic Thursday - Smoke gets in your eyes

Another week nearly killed.

I bring you a double bill:
Smoke gets in your eyes



The platters of course. I suspect when most people think of this song they think of the platters as the original version. These people are wrong. It was written for the musical Roberta by Jerome Kern in 1933, 23 years before the platters came along.

Just about everyone has had a go at covering it. I have a bit of a soft spot for this song, which possibly explains why I have 25 different versions of it on my hard drive.
Why do I like it? Not sure. Perhaps it's a longing to experience lurve the way he describes it, so sure it's real. "I of course replied, something here inside cannot be denied", but I would like to prove the friends wrong and not suffer their derision. Yes, I know, V. Unlikely.

I also think it would make an excellent choice for the funeral. It's short, sweet, and would lighten the occasion beautifully.

Part the second:
Verity Thirkettle shows how it's done on harp.



Had to include this one, not only is it a really nice version, but with her name, could you see her doing anything other than playing harp? It would be the one time skool careers advice got it right, brickyard, down t'pit, brickyard, Verity? That's a nice name, you should play harp...

2 comments:

Amanda Huggenkiss said...

Verity must have had a hell of a job lugging that thing to music lessons after school each day.

p.s. I don't know if you watched Verity's performance all the way though, but towards the end she goes ape shirt - I was expecting her to pour lighter fluid over her harp and set it alight. Which would be nice.

C'riz said...

Pseudonymph : Nice, but wouldn't work here as you basically get 45 seconds of the song and then get faded out as they usher your relatives out so they can get the next dead guy in.

Squeakypony: Verity looks a little small to hold the harp behind her head whilst playing it.

Yes, I did watch it all, 'cos although I know round about bugger all about classical muzzax (Last night of the proms is about the most I do), 'tis obvious she's pretty good with it.