Monday 12 October 2009

The war is over

I won. I think.

Books are now appearing behind my door, posted properly. So I could have beaten the postman into submission, or, perhaps, the original postman is back, in which case I've not won, and I am torturing an innocent. Bugger.

I also have quite a few books to read. The problem with buying books off ebay is sellers are a bunch of lazy gits. Take a photo of the cover, type in the title and author, and that's all they do. Call me stupid, but surely you sell more things if you say, include a photo of the back cover? You know, sell to the people who are browsing, not just to the peeps who want a specific title.

So I've been buying by a combination of "read his books before" and "interesting cover".
The one I'm reading at the min is:



This satisfies both criteria.

Joe Haldeman is of course perhaps best known for the award winning "the forever war". It's not my favourite, which be "All My Sins Remembered". He took a bullet in 'Nam, so rather unsurprising that his works tend to be anti war.

Then there's the cover. Oh my.

Cat faced alien being - Check.
Bold man with ray gun - Check.
Woman lacking clothing - Check.
(If I had a bottom like that I'd never leave the house.)

So it's a double reason to buy. And only a pound too.

It's actually been a while since I was seriously into reading. As an ankle biter I read pretty much constantly, which baffled the adults. How come he's so crap at spelling and writing when he reads so much? The answer is obvious to me, I was busy being in another world far in the future. I didn't have time to take notice of how the words are spelled, only where they took me. Silly people.

Sadly, I won't get to read all these books. I have already caught the Ma stashing some of them in a carrier bag-o-doom. This being why I have purchased some titles 5 or more times.

Carrier bag-o-doom > lost or charity shopped. Why the bag-o-doom is never used for good instead of evil I don't know. Sister in the bag? No problem...

Stopping now. Ramble over.

1 comment:

C'riz said...

They don't allow you to sell humans, or even parts. (Curses for closing that loophole).

Haven't tried selling yet as "a waste of space", could work?