Friday 20 May 2011

Think of the children

So I watched a bit of tv.

It's an expose on how old TVs that should be recycled here end up in Nigeria, where poor children like the one interviewed scavenge metals out of them and are exposed to massive amounts of toxic stuff. It's all awful and it's our fault!

But then I thought about it a bit more.
Yes, the toxic exposure is pretty bad. But...

They examined a container of TVs and found 30% in working order. So presumably the man in Nigeria who's name is on the outside of the container buys them like this as he can make a profit selling the 30% that do work. You could argue that he is also the villain for dumping the 70% that don't work for children to scavenge from.

Child interviewed states he no longer goes to school, as his mother died and he is collecting metal from TVs to feed the family. So if the evil modern world stopped sending bad TVs, he would be in school instead? Er, or more likely he would be working on something even more awful or hazardous... you only take the worst job if you can't get a better one.

30% of them work??? They say these are TV's that have been thrown away at council dumps as unwanted / broken. Who are these wasteful people? Prolly the same idiots that must have the latest iphone.

I think I should go back to my policy of only watching Doctor Who. TV is the devil's tool.

1 comment:

Amanda Huggenkiss said...

I am guilty - last weekend, with help from a friend I ditched my enormous old computer monitor. Perfect working order. Just not needed anymore, as I am surrounded by LCD now days.

I hope the young bloke in Nigeria doesn't hurt his back lifting it - it weighed a ton.