Tuesday 29 March 2011

The fear

I haz it.

I went to the opticians today, as I've been thinking my eyesight is perhaps a bit worse, and my eyes burn all the time. It did not go well.

I have what is technically known as wonky eyes, and so have a prism in my prescription to wonky the light in advance so it all lines up and I don't get cheap 3D effects. Nice lady in opticians thinks I may need an increase in the amount of prism. Snag is, no matter if she gives me anywhere from zero to bloody loads of prism, there's something not quite right.

I can read her chart fine, but when told to concentrate on the letter V in the middle my eyes move very slightly. Nice lady thinks my stupid brain can't decide which image it prefers, and so keeps telling the eyes to look at both of them in turn.

The fear comes from (blind) Ma Ma having grade 1 mental nystagmus. Hook her up to a generator and you could provide power for 20,000 homes on eye movement alone. I don't want to be a blind wobble eyed person. I'm happy enough being wonky thank you very much.

Nice lady is to write a letter to my doctor, so they can write a letter to the hospital, so a man from India can examine my eyes and tell me to come back in 6 months for a few cycles until he gets bored, or my eyes fall out. I'm not very happy. Stupid brain. Stupid eyes. Stupid fear.

1 comment:

Amanda Huggenkiss said...

Glasses make you look like a smartie. I have been using this ruse for many years.

My wonkyness is distance - so I though when I get old and can't see close up then that will balance out, and everything will be fine ... wrong. Now I can't see either. Doh!