Friday 25 March 2011

Avalanche

As I may have mentioned earlier, I've bought a (used) bike. From nice pictures on evilbay.

My avalanche was delivered today. My unhappy level rose by, oooh, at least seven points. The bike I have only bears a passing resemblance to the one in the pictures. Sad face is definitely on.

The first thing I spotted is the paint has been touched up by a mr. Stevie Wonder. With the wrong shade of blue. Then I noticed it's been done everywhere. Methinks it's had a very hard life, and is not in the "excellent" condition I was promised.

It is then observed that the mechanical condition is also lacking in the excellent department. The chain is jumpy on the cogs (stop me if I'm getting too technical), and the steering bit makes clunky noises when you rock it.

After 30 miserable minutes I finally accepted it's a lemon. It is thus Going Back. Going Back in capitals. I'll lose money, but would lose more if I kept it.

Not sure what to do next. try and find another, less knackered, used bike? Buy a shiny new one? Give up this entire mad plan of joining the ranks of 'fat bloke on a bike trying to lose weight but losing sanity instead'? Answers on a postcard plz.

2 comments:

Amanda Huggenkiss said...

All Ebay bikes need fixing. I bought one from a young bloke who was trying to start a business maintaining peoples bikes. I still had to fix a lot of things ...

p.s. Riding bike will not lose weight - I gained weight when I took up cycling AND I can ride for 50km but I still get short of breath walking up stairs.

C'riz said...

Ah. Thanks for the vote for forget the whole thing.

Is there any form of exercise that a) works and b) isn't hugely unpleasant? thought not.