Monday 15 November 2010

On Names

Over the years I've been given several different names. True "oi you" may have featured heavily.

In my uni years I was "the Bettster", due to a sudden fashion of adding "ster" to people's names. (Craigster, Paulster etc. But strangely Biff was given Biffatolah Khomeini for a period).

In recent years I have reinvented myself as C'riz. It's short (less typing), sounds vaguely like my real name, and has a geek connection that I like. It's being my own alternate spelling of C'rizz (pronounced as "Keh-riz") from the big finish eighth doctor audio plays.

I was informed by the tutor on the stained glass course that the person that runs the only glass shoppe in town a) gives students a hard time and b) stupid nicknames. As he has the only glass shoppe it's inevitable you will go there at some point.
I have been twice now, and this week the tutor announced I have a new name. I am "the man who buys everything".

I'm not sure if this is because I have purchased all the basic tools & supplies you need to do the job, or because I purchased 4 kilos of assorted broken glass pieces. Prolly the latter.

But I know my limitations, so why not learn how to do it (aka get it wrong) on the cheapest glass you can get hold of? Having watched Sue basically smash a £6 sheet of glass into small bits by way of not listening to what she's told I'm glad to do it my way. It would hurt to ruin good glass to me.

I've also got a cunning plan, that will make the glass man think I'm totally barking. I noticed as well as the scrap glass, there was a big pile of very small (under 2 inches square) pieces of glass. I'm assuming this is also for sale at similar price to the bigger broken bits. Broken glass sells at £2.50 per kilo. I have observed there is someone selling small broken bits on evilbay successfully at £10 per kilo.
The capitalist in me says 4 X mark up = my glass is free from profits on selling his really small pieces. This time next year Rodney.....

No comments: