Tuesday 7 September 2010

Challenge C'riz

Preamble: Or recent history of C'riz

As should be fairly obvious, I've got a history of teh mentals. I haz social anxiety disorder.
Or to blag a bit from wikipedia:

Social anxiety disorder is a persistent fear of one or more situations in which the person is exposed to possible scrutiny by others and fears that he or she may do something or act in a way that will be humiliating or embarrassing. It exceeds normal "shyness" as it leads to excessive social avoidance and substantial social or occupational impairment. Feared activities may include almost any type of social interaction, especially small groups, dating, parties, talking to strangers, restaurants, etc. Possible physical symptoms include "mind going blank", fast heartbeat, blushing, stomach ache, nausea and gagging. Cognitive distortions are a hallmark, and learned about in CBT (cognitive-behavioral therapy). Thoughts are often self-defeating and inaccurate.


Rewind a few years and I did nothing. My only interaction with the real world was via a keyboard. Then I got shrinked (above noted CBT), and things where right with the world. La la la, I'm cured!

Except.. you never are cured. All you've done is learned how to act in a different way to counteract your problems. Your fundamental nature isn't changed, instead you are relying on techniques to make life possible.

The problem is, I'm noticing a return to old habits. Magnifying failures instead of forgetting about them and moving on. Doing less things. Taking less risks. Shopping at 11pm when it's me and the shelf filling monkeys. It would be so easy to withdraw from the hard world, and pretend I'm happy doing it.

When I was being shrinked, I found it helpful to "go on a mission". Plan something terrifying, and go and do it. In many ways I've not stopped doing this. The visits to Misty land where big and important journeys into the unknown.

Now I need something smaller, as I'm not up to the big challenges. And I have it.... I will go to the cinema. To see the "slightly longer" new version of metropolis.

This be not as easy as it sounds.
1) Limited release. So I will have to go to the big bad city on a scary train full of scary people to see it.

2) Art house cinema. I know the rules for 'normal' cinema. I don't for art house... and not knowing the rules is my worst fear.

How do I dress?
Who are the other people there? No doubt they're going to be from a "better" social class.
Can I hold it together for a film with over 2 hours runtime?

If I think about it I can come up with a thousand ways in which this is a bad idea. Which of course is why I must do it. But any hot tips from clever people would of course be appreciated.

1 comment:

C'riz said...

You're very good at this. May I ask, do you have professional shrink training?