Monday 27 September 2010

skerrrrKKKKKK

That's the sound of me cutting glass. Though thinking about it I'm missing out on the chance for a lazy blog of a certain Nick Lowe song.

Yes, dear reader, I made it to the stained glass class. And it went surprisingly well! Apart from the bits that didn't work.

Class starts at 12:15pm, so I strolled in the door at 12:10. To find lots of people packing up sheets of glass and walking out. Did I miss it? Confusion reigns, until I find out these are the "advanced" class and they're going home.

I then discover beginners class has a grand total of 3 people on it. Moi & 2 peeps who are friends. Hmmm, no need to be embarrassed in front of lots of people then. But also lots of attention as there be not many people to put the spotlight on. Despite only having to remember 3 names I struggle.

Within 5 minutes the class becomes very hands on. Here's a cutter, here's a chunk of glass, watch this then you have a go. Surprisingly I'm not that bad at at. Possibly because I'm too busy being scared of the people to have any fear left for cuts, glass exploding into shards and other related fears.

It then went a bit silly. Here is a rectangle of glass. Draw a leaf shape on it, and then cut it out like this. I am sinister, so picked up the pen and drew a really wonky awful leaf. I can't draw to save my life. But swap the pen for a glass cutter, and I can follow my wonky line perfectly. The only way I can rationalise it is I've spent many years following lines cutting things out on metal, but no years drawing 'cos I know I'm no good at it.

I also did well on using the grinder, especially after mrs. Teacher demonstrates that its' not possible to grind your fingers with it. I've very used to using grinders that will take your fingerprints off in about 0.7 seconds so this was easy!

All in all, it was quite good fun! And I'm making things, and almost interacting. Yay me!

********
Of course there has to be rain after sun. This is the way of life.... till the world be done...

Sunday is "my" car club's annual show. I turn up, do nothing, talk to no one, mooch around for hours and promptly bugger off home again. I think it's time to admit failure on this one and stop going. Especially as I've not had the right kind of car for 4 years now. EPIC FAIL...

No comments: