Thursday 10 February 2011

Abandoned in deep space

Any crew? Negative....

For those of you who haven't a clue what I'm on about, here is a quick lazy blog:



Veh trancey, and makes my hair stand up. But the thought of finding some huge spaceship abandoned in deep space has always been appealing to me. As a child I escaped the mundane world for the scifi one found in books.

The first book I can remember with this theme was Nicholas Fisk's Sunburst . The characters find a giant and seemingly abandoned spaceship, and decide it would be a great wheeze to dock and find out why. The why turns out to be related to the ship being new, but painted with "THTH" everywhere. They eventually discover from a tape recording (If it was written today it would be an ipod I guess), that this means "too hot to handle". The ship is full of radioactive waste, and is going to crash into the sun, with them trapped aboard. Nasty.

Then there was Rendezvous with rama. Or as I remember it, bloodly long boring book that I only kept reading to find out what/ why? was going on with this huge abandoned alien spacecraft? Just like an ex library Agatha Christie with the last page missing you never got to find out. Methinks messr. Clarke didn't have an answer in mind, so though bugger it, I'll just stop there.

There's been lots more since then of course. But the most recent one was when I was lazy booking, aka audio book time. On a train to London, it's a big finish doctor who play, and they find an abandoned (in deep space) spaceship. No!!!! go away now!!!! I'm saying. 'Cos you just know what's going to be in the cargo hold. Express delivery from Telos.... Anyone for cyber-conversion?

So, er, that's why I like that song. Takes my little mind to other places without the use of drugs.

2 comments:

Amanda Huggenkiss said...

Science fiction with added space cheese.

C'riz said...

If they put that on voyager's golden record it's no wonder the aliens haven't been in touch.