Thursday 11 August 2011

Jerk it out

No, not an invitation. More a lazy blog:



Said engine in said vid is running on it's own oil and is thus attempting to kill the people who are trying to stop it. I must admit, if it was me I would run as far and as fast as possible and wait for the inevitable bang.

The closest I've come to engine disaster is when mate #2 bought an engine from a car that mate #1 had previously crashed. The parts damaged in the crash where replaced, and we had the bright idea of trying to see if it still ran before fitting it to his car. It was stood on the floor with a high tech house brick holding it upright. My spare gearbox was attached so the starter motor could be used.

It started straight away... unfortunately mate #2 forgot to check the timing was ok. It wasn't. Engine took off to silly rpm, then stopped suddenly. BANG! WHEEEEEEEE!

Engine stopping suddenly due to bending all the valves was too much for my poor gearbox. Something punched a hole in the casing, and went WHEEEEEEEEE! across the garden. Bye bye gearbox :(

Tell me your tales of seconds from disaster?

2 comments:

Amanda Huggenkiss said...

Mad video.

No engine disaster but mountain bike riding almost disaster. Zipping down well worn trail and I pulled up because the view was getting a bit too spectacular. I was following a track that was used to get to the 100m cliff just in front that was used for abseiling. Completely unmarked. Meep.

C'riz said...

Meep indeed! Deffo a brown trousers moment!