Saturday 16 April 2011

Call me Ishmael

So I walked to the hospital on both my feet, and saw the orthoptist. Hello Ms. Orthoptist....

I'm then made to feel like a grade one fraud. She tests my eyes nine ways from Sunday, and pronounces that I don't have significant double vision problems. I be almost normal.

But, er, what about the wobbling when focusing on an object? There be very little evidence of that either. Definitely not the same as when I had my eye test.

Ok, what about when I'm looking at eg, a patch of gravel? It's all shimmery. Oh, that's a side effect of having prism in your prescription, didn't they warn you about it? er, no.

Wait a while to see the consultant. Hello Mr. consultant. He flicks thru my notes, and then tells me the tests I had done three years ago when all this eye stuff started was to check if I had multiple sclerosis. Excuse me! Er, no one told me that at the time.... er, did I pass?

He thinks whatever happened three years ago has in some way caused damage to my eye. I think he's also thinking this sudden jump in required prism is perhaps a re-occurrence, but he's not committing to saying it.
He makes reassuring noises that I don't have anything major to worry about, but come back in two months for more tests, or immediately if I feel something is going horrendously wrong.

Upshot is I feel slightly better, but also cautiously worried. What is said eyes really up to? Is Noah and his chum the whale going to release a single called blind C'riz you're all doooooomed?

No comments: