Thursday 10 June 2010

On not getting new toys

Just in case you want to save some time: New toy, I have not got.

Longer story:
A few weeks back I went to the model engineering exhibition. And there is a man, selling cnc lathes. £2600 each says his sign. I want one. I want one bad. So I do my very best attempt at being human and ask him questions, which actually went quite well considering. Prolly 'cos once I get into geek zone, or engineer zone I forget I'm scared of humanity, and feel confident to talk geek.

The man says, make an appointment, come to my workshop, try one out working and if you like it give me money and take it away. For the win!

So today I went to his workshop. Saw it working. Yes, I would like one of your machines, here be my credit card, my car is outside, plz to load it up.

"Oh, I can't do that!" he says. Er, why not?

Apparently I have to bring the pc I want to make it work to him first, and he has to prove it works with my pc before I'm allowed to take one away. Otherwise I will get home and plug it into my pc and it won't work and I will be too stupid to work out why and will phone him up and it will be awful.

Of course as I'm terrified of phones I wouldn't be phoning him under any circumstances. And getting things to work that don't is all part of the fun surely?

But no. He won't sell to me today. So no new toy. It's also annoying that I've lost a day that I should have been working, and £40 worth of diesel, and I get to do it again next week.

No comments: